bad eggs

Postby Shicken » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:58 pm

what is the cause and how long does it take for an egg to do this

Phuck you if ya can't take a joke!
Shicken
Alumnus

Re: bad eggs

Postby chickendanz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:03 am

I never wash eggs. As long as the bloom is still on the egg it technically should be protected from most bacteria.
I have started cleaning my incubators with Oxine. Before that I used peroxide and vinegar mixed together. Very natural and kills a lot. The oxine helps keep the odors down a little better though.
That egg could have had anything wrong with it from bacteria entering the shell, to the chick dying for some unknown reason. A change in temperature or what have you. Also some times there are minute cracks or holes in shells we can't see with the naked eye that can let all sorts of bad things in. I do know I could smell that thing even on the computer screen! :cry:
chickendanz
Alumnus

Postby Shicken » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:59 am

mine friend won these in a raffle in southern Idaho. She brought these to me the next day after they arrives. There were 2 cracked eggs that smelled funkie. I discarded them and the rest seemed fine or so I thought. Went to candle them the other night and found a leaker. The one in the pic. Went back and found 2 more that had leaked on my other eggs.. x04 The incubator now stinks and is sickening.
Is this going to fug up my other eggs?
I have 80+ Chuckars, 120 Blue Scale quail, 60 Gambels and a some Lavender orps
Last edited by Shicken on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phuck you if ya can't take a joke!
Shicken
Alumnus

Postby millebantam™ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:24 am

If your bator is rigged with proper ventilation, and you are still smellin' something funky 24 hours later, you still have a timebomb in there somewhere.
The internet......where assholes with similar cynical views can find each other.

How lucky is a rabbit with no feet?

There is nothing more dangerous than a person who doesn't know, what he doesn't know.
millebantam™
Sentinel

aka: Prima Donna®

Postby chickendanz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:54 am

If you can, clean up any leakage from the eggs. It shouldn't bother your other eggs. I have had some fertile eggs that got leakage on them and they did fine. Just didn't smell good. If you have any more eggs in there from this guy unless they are showing good development I would get them out of there. My guess is that the eggs were OLD and shook around a lot to cause the other breakage. One thing about some breeders is that they can always blame you for not hatching an egg even if they know they are giving you bad ones.
chickendanz
Alumnus

Postby KoopasCoops » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Ewww

I've made some funky eggs in the past, turned funky colors blue and red, exploded when touched, started cracking under the pressure of the rotting baby inside...but that takes the cake!

mmmmmm cake
Mandarin ducks, call ducks (white, snowy, grey, blue fawn), tatankas, RI red bantams, show quality black & white dutch crested and many guineas.
KoopasCoops
Alumnus

aka: Silly Call Duck Girl

Postby al6517 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:21 pm

I will say I have never seen and egg like that nor have I heard of one looking all dark colored like that, it does appear to have been contaminated early on and the grossidities disovled the egg contents. I have never had an egg explode in the bator but some that were weeping and I was gentle enough in removing it so I didn't get sprayed, they were always shipped eggs to boot. I don't wash my hatching eggs per say as most 99% come out pretty clean from the nest boxes, but every now and then I will get a nasty looking one that I just run under some hot water enough to remove the really big stuff. I am not a fan of incubating nasty or otherwise dirty eggs cause I don't like the idea of the poop on them turning into a monster in a humid heated enviroment which we all know bacteria thrive in.
Breeder of SQ National winning LF Cornish, White's, Darks, and White laced Reds.
Breeding the best to the best, as good as a few and better than most.
What you'll tolerate in your flock is what you'll get.
al6517
Sentinel

aka: Cornish Knight

Postby Fat Daddy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:12 pm

I have washed dozens of eggs. Everyone that had shit on it. Like Al said, dont want a shitty egg in my bator. Never had one rot or even noticeably effect the hatch rate. I have had two "seeper" coturnix eggs that were from a stellar breeder. But those didnt even look like that. Just sweating goo and smelled rotten. It looks like those may be petrified in a few weeks!
Born Again Virgin Farm
Fat Daddy
Sentinel

aka: knickname?

Postby al6517 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Yeah good point Bill............ I have never had a shit rinsed egg that I could tell made any difference in hatchability, but my bator don't stink like like shit x18
Breeder of SQ National winning LF Cornish, White's, Darks, and White laced Reds.
Breeding the best to the best, as good as a few and better than most.
What you'll tolerate in your flock is what you'll get.
al6517
Sentinel

aka: Cornish Knight

Postby Sayer of Sooth » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:37 pm

I candled some shipped eggs once and cracked them when I pulled them to see if I was, in fact, interpreting what I saw correctly. Three of them looked a bit lighter green than that, but pretty close - stunk to high heaven!! I was told that age was the biggest factor. The barest crack = age = Nasty Business!!
"Don't fuk with the llama." FD
Sayer of Sooth
Alumnus

aka: Taker of Notes

Next

Return to Flock Education